Keeping Up To DateWritten on October 11, 2017 by Wilson Chau
One morning while walking my kids to school, a few of the neighborhood kids joined us. As we walked, one of the kids abruptly stopped right in front of my son. Slightly annoyed, my son shouted, “quit brake stopping me!”. Now...I like to think of myself as one of the cool and hip parents that’s up to date with the latest trends and terms, but I had never heard that term before.
Later that evening, my 6-year old daughter showed me a move called “Dabbing” in which she snapped her head down within a bent arm with opposite arm extended out in parallel. It looked like someone sneezing into one arm while the other arm was trying to get as far away as possible. I could feel my “cool” card melting away.
Betty White is way cooler than me
One comment I hear often when talking to a client is, “I used to keep up to date with technology, but it’s been a while now, and I’m out of touch with the latest trends.” I can certainly understand why. Take the CPU for example. Just this year alone, Intel and AMD have launched a plethora of CPUs.
- Kaby Lake for the mainstream (Core i3, i5, and i7 with 2-4 cores)
- Kaby Lake for business (Xeon E3 with 4 cores)
- Kaby Lake X and Skylake X for enthusiast (Core i7 and i9 with 4-18 cores)
- Skylake W for business / workstations (Xeon W with 4-18 cores)
- Skylake SP “Purley” for servers (Xeon Scalable with 4-28 cores each on 2-8 CPUs)
- Coffee Lake for the mainstream (Core i3, i5, and i7 with 4-6 cores)
- Ryzen for mainstream (4-8 cores)
- Ryzen Pro for business (also 4-8 cores)
- Threadripper for enthusiasts (8-16 cores)
- EPYC for servers (up to 32 cores each on 1-2 physical CPUs)
That’s a lot to keep track of and if it wasn’t for our Puget Labs team, I’d certainly be lost. I mean check out the articles they have been publishing:
It’s impressive! It’s also my job to keep track of the latest technology, trends, and performance so that YOU DON’T HAVE TO. Hopefully, that means I’m still cool in your eyes.
Now if I can somehow convince the Puget Labs team to keep me up to date with the latest hip trends for millennials, I might just “dab” in celebration.