Windows Update Fix: Gigabyte X99 + Intel ChipsetWritten on August 7, 2017 by Geno Rosario
We are starting to see an issue within our Support team as of August 2017 where Windows Update fails to update. The following error will display:
"Windows 10 Update Failed to install - Intel Ethernet driver NETwtw04.sys plus 16 cores present on device."
First, install this driver from Intel
Active Processor Cores
- Here you will disable a couple of cores. Windows Update seems to have issues detecting more than 16 cores with this update, so we want to disable Cores 0, 1, and 2.
- In this picture they're currently "Enabled", simply toggle 0, 1, and 2 to "Disabled"
- Once you've cut down the accessible cores, you're ready to run Windows Update.
Saving Temporary Profile + Optional
- Once you've updated Windows, you would need to come back to the BIOS again, and re-enable the cores you disabled. (In the example we showed, we would have to re-enable cores 0, 1, and 2 again).
- Since we are not sure how long this process will be needed, we suggest saving the BIOS profile that has lesser cores to a second BIOS profile that we can restore to/from if needed.
- To do this navigate to the Tool section of the BIOS and head to "ASUS Overclocking Profile"
Saving the Temporary Lesser-Core BIOS
- Drop down to the section labeled "Save to Profile"
- Put today's date in the "Profile Name"
- Put "2" in the "Save to Profile" section (You need to do this if you don't want to overwrite your existing BIOS profile)
- Once you have today's date and a "2" in the "Save to Profile" section, hit enter with your cursor on the "2", this will save the BIOS version with lesser cores to Profile 2.
- With Profile 2 saved, you can swap back and forth between Profiles 1 and 2 if needed.
Conclusion / Multiple Profiles
Need help with your Puget Systems PC?
If something is wrong with your Puget Systems PC. We are readily accessible, and our support team comes from a wide range of technological backgrounds to better assist you!
Looking for more support guides?
If you are looking for a solution to a problem you are having with your PC, we also have a number of other support guides that may be able to assist you with other issues.