Background on Solid State Drives
Solid-state drives (SSDs) store data electrically, rather than on magnetic disks like traditional hard drives (HDDs). This means there is virtually no delay when seeking a specific bit of data, and if the drives are well manufactured they can also perform faster at both reading and writing than most hard drives. Because it is a newer technology the price per GB is a lot higher than traditional HDDs, but it is coming down quickly.
These drives also tend to be offered in 2.5" sizes, meaning they can fit in laptops just as well desktops. Early models are not as energy efficient as laptop HDDs, but they are a lot faster - so if you don't need a ton of space they can be a great mobile drive solution. There are also smaller form factor options for SSDs available in some systems, like mSATA and M.2.
I love the SSDs. Prices are getting better, the performance is excellent, and they're incredibly reliable! One of the common worries I get from folks is that they'll wear out quickly. We've been carrying them for about seven years and our failure rates on these have been well below that of our platter drives. On top of that, the theoretical lifespan of these drives is something along the lines of 15-20 years (or more) with typical use. It's just not something I worry about with SSDs anymore.
The magnetic platter hard drives typically have Random Read 4KB performance of less than 300 IOPS while most standard SSDs have better than 94,000 IOPS, What this means is that with an SSD, you will have much, much faster boot times and program loads if it is your primary drive. If you just need space to store data files, Consider a magnetic platter drive as the price per GB is MUCH better than that of an SSD.
It is worth noting that SSD performance increases with larger size drives. This 2TB model is only a little faster than the 1TB version, but can be a lot faster than some of the small models in certain real-world applications.
On the consumer side, the Samsung 850 EVOs and PROs have really impressed me with their price, reliability, and performance. I use an 840 or 850 EVO in my family's desktop, PS3, and our two laptops.
|Interface||SATA 6 Gb/s|
|Form Factor||2.5 Inch|
|Idle Noise||0 dB|
|Seek Noise||0 dB|
|Endurance (TBW)||150 TB|
|Sequential Read||Up to 540 MB/s|
|Sequential Write||Up to 520 MB/s|
|Random 4KB Read||Up to 98,000 IOPS|
|Random 4KB Write||Up to 90,000 IOPS|
- 3D V-NAND Technology Samsung’s innovative 3D V-NAND flash memory architecture breaks through density, performance, and endurance limitations of today’s conventional planar NAND architecture. Samsung 3D V-NAND stacks 32 cell layers vertically resulting in higher density and better performance utilizing a smaller footprint.
- Incredible Read/Write Speeds Achieve incredible read/write performance to maximize your everyday computing experience with Samsung’s TurboWrite technology. You can obtain up to 1.9x faster performance than the award-winning Samsung 840 EVO. The 850 EVO delivers class-leading performance* in sequential read (540MB/s) and write (520MB/s) speeds. Plus, gain optimized random performance in all QD for better real-world performance. * Performance compared to 3-Bit MLC-class SSD drives
- Guaranteed Endurance and reliability The 850 EVO doubles the endurance* and reliability** compared to the previous generation 840 EVO** and features a class-leading*** 5 year warranty. With enhanced long-term reliability, the 850 EVO assures longterm dependable performance of up to 30% longer than the previous generation 840 EVO. * Measured by Terrabytes Written (TBW) ** Measured with Sustained Performance 12hr Random Write Test *** Highest among 3-Bit MLC-class SSD drives
- Improved Energy Efficiency The 850 EVO delivers significantly longer battery life on your notebook* with a controller designed and optimized for 3D V-NAND that supports Device Sleep for Windows at a highly efficient 2mW. The 850 EVO supports 25% better power efficiency than the 840 EVO during write operations thanks to ultra-efficient 3D V-NAND only consuming half the energy than that of traditional Planar 2D NAND. * Compared to standard hard drive & previous generation SSDs
- Dynamic Thermal Guard Protection The 850 EVO’s Dynamic Thermal Guard constantly monitors and maintains ideal temperatures for the drive to operate in optimal conditions to ensure the integrity of your data. The Thermal Guard automatically throttles temperatures down when temperatures rise above optimal critical threshold. This protects your data while maintaining responsiveness to help ensure your computer is always safe from overheating.
- End-to-end Integration Solution Samsung is the only brand to design and manufacture all its components inhouse allowing complete optimized integration. The result – the rock-solid EVO 850, with enhanced performance, lower power consumption with an up to 1 GB LPDDR2 DRAM cache memory and improved energy-efficiency with the MEX/MGX controller – all from the #1 memory manufacturer in the world.
5 Year or 150 TBW
- Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD Utility
- Samsung Magician
Version 5.0 Released 11/29/16
For Win7_64, Win8_64, Win10_64, Svr2012_64
- Samsung Magician
Configure a custom workstation with the Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD.