Fractal Design Define R5 White
[ Front Panel ]
The new R5 retains a flexible design layout. There is support for two 5.25-inch external bays and up to eight 2.5- or 3.5-inch internal drives. Two quiet 140mm fans are included, with room to fit up to five more. The front connections are located at the top of the case, directly above the front door, and include two each of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports alongside headphone and mic plugs.
This particular version is 'White' in color. The entire exterior is white, with lots of black accents internally. The foam padding on the inside of the door is also black, which is the most noticeable non-white element.
This is a very nice case. It offers good cooling, several internal hard drive bays, along with built-in sound dampening material. This case is a couple inches shorter than most full towers, so if you are height restricted for your system, this may be a better option to consider. A downside to this case is that it has no 3.5" external bays, and just two 5.25" (DVD) bays. So if you would like to use a 3.5" media card reader, it will need to be placed in one of the two 5.25" bays, leaving just one 5.25" bay for a single optical drive.
I don't know what it is about white cases, but I like them. We don't regularly stock this particular one, though, as most of the time we use some form of gray or black. Fractal does a really good job with the Define R5, though.
We strive to pick the best cases which we feel suit the needs of both our customers and our assembly technicians. Does it look too flashy? Can we make this look neat? Will this offer us sufficient airflow for our higher end systems? I find the Define R5 is highly customizable to allow quiet configurations without sacrificing airflow or performance. The case itself is made of steel while the front is durable plastic. The white version does stand out more than the Titanium or Black versions, but it hold the same charm as the others and, as a bonus, it looks like a fridge. The Define R5 supports up to six 140mm fans and self-contained liquid cooling units, has sound dampening material on both side panels as well as the front door. The front and bottom grills of the case are protected by a removable mesh filter which catches hair and dust. The front door, configured for a right-hand opening but easily changed for a left-hand one, hides your optical drive bays and the fan controller for a neat and discreet appearance. At the top of the case is where you will find your power and reset buttons, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, a speaker jack and a microphone jack. The case boasts some of the best hard drive cages on the market, offering durable and versatile mounting options. Fractal outdid themselves on this computer case and for the price this thing is a steal. To put it simply, this thing is pretty great.
Note: We have designed custom shipping materials for this case. Specially made foam and boxes provide superior protection during shipping! Click here for more details.
|Material||Plastic shell, steel frame|
|Maximum Motherboard Size||ATX|
|Height||462 mm (18.2 in)|
|Width||232 mm (9.1 in)|
|Depth||531 mm (20.9 in)|
|Net Weight||11.2 kg (24.7 lbs)|
|Maximum CPU Cooler Height||180mm|
|Maximum GPU Length||310mm or 440mm with top HD cage removed|
|Maximum PSU Length||170mm with a bottom fan or 300mm without|
|External 5.25 inch||2|
|External 3.5 inch||0|
|Internal 2.5 inch||2|
|Internal 2.5/3.5 inch||8|
|Front Panel Connectors|
|Included Fans||140mm front and rear|
|Additional Fans Possible||120/140mm front, 3x 120/140mm top, 1x 120/140mm bottom|
- Optimally designed for silent computing with high density noise-reducing material throughout the case for maximum sound absorption, while not compromising on airflow and cooling capabilities.
- Newly configured front door with dual side mounting to better fit your work space
- Maintaining a dust-free interior with the help of dust filters that cover front and bottom air intakes that are easy to access from the front on the case.
- The HDD cage system holds up to eight 3.5" or 2.5" drives and is more adaptable than ever, allowing the user to modify the case layout according to personal preference with more places to relocate the cages
- The new and innovative Quick Release System on the left side of the case provides secure mounting of the left side panel, yet grants quick and easy access to the system.
- Three-speed fan controller is strategically integrated in the front panel and supports up to 3 fans.
- Equipped with new tool-less ModuVent fan slot covers allowing the user to install more fans if desired or keep fan slots covered to maximize sound absorption.
- Including two Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fans developed for superlative airflow while still maintaining low noise levels.
The Fractal Design Define R5 is the next evolution in the widely popular Define Series. Packed with intelligently designed enthusiast-oriented features delivering a silent case with powerful and expansive air and liquid cooling support, presented in a stunning Scandinavian inspired construction.
The Define R5 case reaches the highest level of silent computing through strategically placed dense sound-absorbing material, ModuVent fan vent covers and finely tuned Dynamic Series fans.
The Define R5 was designed with configurability in mind, accommodating up to 8 hard drives and all modern graphics card. Should you wish to expand your system with water cooling components or more fans the layout can easily be configured to meet your demand.
Configure a affordable custom PC with the Fractal Design Define R5 White.