How to switch from a Microsoft account to a local user in Windows 10Written on June 12, 2018 by Chad Warmenhoven
Why this should be done
When you received your Puget computer, during the setup process if you accidentally associated a Microsoft account and no longer wish to keep the connection we can help you revert to just a standard local account. Many users have no need for the additional services bundled with a Microsoft account such as OneDrive, Office 365 or device to device syncing.
How to revert to local account from Microsoft account
If you don't use the MS services, then reverting to just a standard local account is possible. This will retain all documents, settings, applications and user files but will disable the MS association and features.
1. Open Settings>Accounts and select "Your Info"
3. Now enter your password for the Microsoft account. This verifies you are authorized to make the adjustment
4. In the new window labeled "Switch to a local account" please enter a new "Local user name", "Password" and "hint" then select "Next" - Make sure you write this information down somewhere as it will be your only access to the Puget computer
5. The screen will prompt you to save your work and "Sign out and finish". The system will now sign you out and you will need to login with the information you just provided
If any applications were installed directly from the Windows Store you will need to sign into them again; however, it will not uninstall them during this process.
Different types of accounts
When creating new local account you will have the option to set select "Administrator", "Standard", "Child" or "Guest".
An Administrator account will give that user full access to everything on the computer without having to enter any additional passwords or credentials.
A Standard account can access most of the computer but won't be able to make significant changes, install or run new applications however they can run already installed applications.
A Child account is similar to the Standard account but provides additional Family Safety settings by default.
A guest account can use the computer to a limited extent, similar to the Standard account, but with no privacy as anyone can sign into the Guest account and there can only be one. No applications can be installed but existing ones can be run. This one is limited mostly to browsing the web and files stored within the Guest account.
Creating an additional user (Local account)
Maybe you want to create a secondary account for a friend or family, or perhaps you want a second account for testing purposes, either way this will guide you through creating a NEW (Local) account on your Puget computer.
1. Open the "Settings" app from the start menu
4. On the "How will this person sign in" since we are creating a local account please select "I don't have this person's sign in information"5. Microsoft will try to help you create a Microsoft account but we are going to click "Add a user without a Microsoft account" instead6. Create a Username, Password and hint if you like then select "Next" - Make sure you write these credentials down for later use.
Once the account has been created, sign out of the current user and sign in with the credentials you wrote down in the last step. Windows will begin creating user folders and 'Finish setting things up' which may take some time. Once complete, the new user account will be fully operational.
Creating a Microsoft account
Creating a Microsoft account on your Puget computer follows the same steps as a Local account but when you get to step 4 instead of selecting "I don't have this users sign-in information" you will just enter an email address. Creating a Microsoft account will sync settings between computers as well as help with migrating data from Outlook, OneDrive and other Office 365 based applications. We find that many of our users prefer to use local accounts but you have the option. Additionally you can switch from a local account to a Microsoft account simply by selecting "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" from the "Accounts" in the settings menu.
You're all finished! We hope this clarifies a few things on Account settings for your Puget system. If you have additional questions, please reach out to our support department by calling 888-784-3872 x 2 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always happy to assist!