The maximum power output of these ports is 3 amps at 5V, which is what the USB 3.1 spec calls for. There is an additional, optional USB spec called "USB Power Delivery 2 (v1.1)" which is 5 amps at 20V - and this card does not support that standard. By not providing that, this card gets away without requiring a dedicated power connection from the power supply; that means cleaner system wiring, and easier installation as an upgrade for existing computers.
Some motherboards already have USB 3.1 ports, in which case a card like this may not be needed. In some cases it may still be useful to add more of these ports, though, especially if you need to connect a lot of high-speed devices to the computer. Check the specifications of the motherboard you are considering, or ask our consulting staff, if you are unsure how many USB ports you will already have access to.
USB just keeps getting faster! The latest version (3.1) supports speeds on par with Thunderbolt and introduces a new connector shape: Type C. Those new connectors are going to take a while to catch on, I think, but they are starting to show up on some motherboards. If you need to add one to a system, though, this card provides one - along with a traditional Type A port.
- 3.1-in x 3.2-in, 7.9 cm x 8.1 cm
- ASMedia ASM1142 Controller
- PCI Express x4 Connector (x2 lane)
- Compliant with PCI Express 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 specifications
- Supports data rates up to 10 Gbps
- Compliant with x4, x8 or x16 PCI Express Slots
- 1 x USB 3.1 Type-A Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))*
- 1 x USB 3.1 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))**
*For charging Type-A USB devices, we suggest using the Type-A connectors on your motherboard.
**This port supports power outputs up to 5V/3A. For charging Type-C USB devices, the device should support Type-C standards to adjust the current because it will be different in Power On state (3 Amp) and Sleep state (1 Amp).
***Some Type-C USB devices may only be charged by its own adapter.
- Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit / 64-bit / 8.1 32-bit / 8.1 64-bit / 8 32-bit / 8 64-bit / 7 32-bit / 7 64-bit
- ASRock Model USB 3.1/A+C Card Drivers
Version 188.8.131.52 Released 01/19/17
For Win7_64, Win8_64
Configure a custom computer with the ASRock Model USB 3.1/A+C Card.