RealityCapture BenchmarkWritten on May 3, 2019 by William George
Here at Puget Systems, we have put together a benchmark utility for RealityCapture which measures system performance by running two small projects - a 3D Model and a 3D Map - and tracking the time taken to process each step. This benchmark is freely available to download, below, though running it requires an existing installation and valid license of RealityCapture on a 64-bit Windows computer.
We built and tested this benchmark using the full version of RealityCapture, for which a free demo is available with registration, and it is not known if it will work with RealityCapture Promo or PGM variants. If you try it on one of those, please let us know in the comments!
Depending on your browser, OS, and antivirus settings, you may receive warnings about this tool being an unrecognized app.
Rest assured that if you downloaded it from the Puget Systems website it is not harmful in any way.
Standard RC Benchmark
Extended RC Benchmark
Be sure to check out the full list of benchmarks we have available!
This benchmark is protected under the Creative Commons BY-ND license. If you want to use the results of this benchmark on another website, you are welcome to - but attribution to Puget Systems is required and a link back to this page is encouraged.
How to Use the RealityCapture Benchmark
Using this benchmark is quite simple, though you do need to have RealityCapture installed and logged in prior to starting.
- Download the RealityCapture Benchmark file by clicking on the blue button above
- Once downloaded, unzip "Puget Systems RealityCapture Benchmark.zip" to a location where you have write permission
- After it has fully extracted, open the Puget Systems RealityCapture Benchmark folder
- Run the RealityCaptureBenchmark.exe file
- Wait for it to detect the version of RealityCapture that is installed
- At the intro screen, read the description and then click on Start to begin
- Avoid using the mouse or keyboard during the benchmark execution - changing focus at the wrong time will interfere with it
- When the benchmark is complete, a summary screen will be displayed with the time (in seconds) for processing each step
- That information will also be saved to a results file in the same folder, along with some basic system specs, for future reference
You can compare the results from running this benchmark on your system to those we show in future RealityCapture articles.
Please also share your results and system specs in the comments below!
5-3-2019: Initial public release
5-23-2019: Update to benchmark, fixing a bug that could cause the script to get stuck locating photos when opening a project file
10-29-2019: Update to benchmark, fixing how settings for log file and cache clearing are configured on first run in newer versions of RC
01-09-2020: Update to benchmark, updating to support latest version (188.8.131.5293 - older versions will not work) and changing how settings are handled (saves current settings to a file, changes them as needed for the benchmark, then restores them at the end); added extended benchmark version for longer test runs
01-24-2020: Minor fixes to improve reliability of the benchmark, particularly the extended version